25 Things I Learned While Being 25!
I was inspired to make this list and post by Jamerly; a peer in High School, that has a blog called the Mane Attire. In her recent post, she made a list of 25 things she learned by 25. It made me think that I learn some things myself and not just in my 25 years of living, but just this year alone. So I wanted to share my list with you.
In no particular order, here are 25 things I learned during my 25th year:
1. YOU DON’T NEED TO HAVE IT TOGETHER
We all, whether we want to admit it or not felt by the age of 25 we needed to have our lives together. A degree, family, marriage, a home, and anything else society said we should have. But actually, it’s okay if you don’t have those things and should be content with wherever you are and understand timing is everything.
2. PUT YOUR HEALTH FIRST
Mental. Physical. Emotional. All these should come first. This I spent really feeling and realizing I wasn’t putting my health first in multiple situations. But as the year went on I learned that your health is essentially a driving force to putting your best self forward.
3. TAKE TIME PROCESSING
These last two years have been a lot for everyone. We are battling an ongoing pandemic that gets worse by the day. Everything can feel like a lot. So you should take the time to process anything no matter the size or weight it may bring.
4. STAYING AT HOME IS OKAY
I realized I enjoy being at home. I realized this when my boss one day said Taylor you need to start doing things on your off day and I’m like I am, I stayed home. I’m staying in and enjoying my time being inside, in my bed, in the comfort of my home.
- ADULTING CAN SUCK
- GO AT YOUR OWN PACE
Everything in life is not a race! Take your time exploring, learning, and just being yourself and developing your growth at your own pace.
- EAT WHAT YOU LIKE
- YOUR TWENTIES ARE FOR DATING/LIVING
Why rush? We are still young, even though y’all don’t believe that all the time. But figure out what you want before adding someone else to the mix.
- WE ALL HAVE BAD DAYS
I am one to talk. I have had a good amount of ups and downs this year. And that’s okay. It is not normal to not have a bad day. It’s about what you do after those bad days.
- DON’T TAKE EVERYTHING PERSONAL
This one is probably my biggest lesson learned. We naturally protect ourselves by being on the defensive, when sometimes it’s just not needed. People just want to make us better by telling us things we don’t look at as constructive criticism but as an attack. It hurts the ego, but if you take a step back and move forward, there’s no need for it to be personal but a lesson.
- CONTINUE TO GET TO KNOW YOURSELF
Everyday. All-day. I like to believe we are constant lessons to ourselves. We grow every day. I’m still learning myself and things I will and will not accept. There’s a level of joy and peace in knowing who you are. As RuPaul likes to say “If you can’t love yourself, how the hell you gonna love somebody else.”
- YOU DON’T HAVE TO LIKE THE SAME THINGS AS EVERYONE ELSE
We are all our own people. Yes, it is easier to enjoy the same things as the people around you, but it’s okay to not. You going to want to do what you want to do at the end of the day. At least you should. Be different, that’s cool!
- TAKE YOURSELF OUT
This one is scary and I am still taking this on. I started trying this two years ago when I went to a Sam Smith concert by myself and realized I actually enjoyed myself. This is also something my best friend said she goes and it allows her to do things she’s been wanting to. So go on date, go to the store, take a hike or road trip, go to a concert, or do whatever you’ve been wanting to do but haven’t because you have been waiting on your friends to say they are ready.
- ROUTINES ARE MEANT TO BE BROKEN
I like to think I’m pretty good at setting routines to make sure what I want to get done, but this year showed me that not every day will be the same and those routines need to be altered. It’s your job to then make changes.
- NOT EVERYTHING ONLINE IS EVIL
Many of us know the internet and social media can be toxic places. But not everything is evil and negative. I’ve seen many posts supporting businesses, laws we want to be changed, people who have been mistreated and getting the justice they need, helping dreams come true, plus the free content we have access to make some of those things possible.
- ACCEPTANCE
Acceptance is tough, because we will not receive it from everyone, but there are people who do accept you!
- SOME OPINIONS DON’T NEED TO BE SHARED
🤭
- ACTIONS CONTINUE TO SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS
We are not mind readers, so if your actions don’t match your words, how would I know?
- COMMUNICATION IS VITAL
In all aspects of your life, communication keeps us understanding each other.
- DON’T LIE TO YOURSELF
You know yourself and your feelings so if something is not right, don’t fight it!
- BE ACCOUNTABLE
Own your wrongs as much as your own your rights.
- HAVE EMPATHY
Not everyone has the same upbringing, life path, struggles, and past as you, but we need less judging and more empathy as a society.
- EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED
Be open to all things that may come. That may be heavy and vague, but it will be different for everyone. For me, I met someone this year and they told me I was someone they needed to meet. And that was very unexpected.
- LEARN TO WALK AWAY
Not everything needs a reaction. This has been my friend for the last few weeks.
- THERE IS A LESSON IN PATIENCE
Comments
Post a Comment