perfectly imperfect.

(Body Positivity)

So I have a confession; lately, I’ve been letting the faults that people see in me get the best of my mind. I’ve been overthinking on ways to change myself to fit what people wish to see. Unfortunately, I can’t do that. Simply because I’ve worked so hard to get rid of the standards people believe we should all look like. 

Let me give you a back story; I may have a person or two-point out the extra pounds I have on certain parts of my body without realizing how that may be perceived. Also being around people that call themselves “fat” or whatever. It makes me feel for those that are actually a tad bigger or really experience that in their lives. But I can’t be too mad since it’s just something we feel about ourselves.

Honestly, I tried to play it off but it actually bothered me more than I thought. I feel it’s because it’s already an insecurity I have and to always have someone pointing out my weight is triggering. Especially when I’ve worked so hard on loving the few extra pounds I have. And plus for a while, I didn’t think people see that as an equivalent to being unhealthy which naturally made me defensive. I got defensive because I’ve been active in sports and I’m also constantly moving on my feet. But I guess carrying a bit of fat doesn’t matter. Plus I think and look at the pictures where I was actually bigger than what I’m currently at and that’s progress TO ME. 

Anyways, that was a bit of rambling, but I want to change this feeling around and be uplifting to someone. Simply because we all are perfectly imperfect. We all have insecurities even ones that are projected onto us because of social or cultural views. And it often sucks when they are pointed out after working our butts off to be confident where we stand. It also sucks we live in a world of constant comparison whether it’s body image, skin, race, and other factors we can’t change. If you think about it, I have features the next person may think is a problem like having a few extra pounds but you may be too short, skinny, too big, too tall or whatever. Naturally, we all have something we wish to change. However, people forget these often are the things we love about ourselves or what someone else may see fits us. 

I feel I work my ass off to love the features someone is constantly calling out. I can admit I do have those days just like you; and will overthink that maybe, I should not like this inch of fat. But I rather work getting rid of that insecurity FOR MYSELF, not anyone else. And maybe the only other person I might actually listen to is my doctor (HA.) 

Body image and body shaming are topics we are constantly discussing and rightfully so. Insecurities are something we all have whether it is body-related or not. Regardless of the insecurity, no one person can say that they don’t go through the feels about something internally or externally they don’t like. And if you told me otherwise I would say you are lying.  Like that song says “if you want burger, eat a burger” THEN YOU DO JUST THAT! But in all seriousness, know there are men and women who feel exactly how you do. I highly recommend reaching out to those people as they can be a new source of comfort and may help uplift you on those off days and vice versa. Another thing is to find celebrities that are similar to you because that can make a difference. For me, I looked at people like Jennifer Hudson, Amber Riley, Ashley Graham and recently Lizzo. 

One last thing, Blogger Naomi Finkelstein in a post said, "my body is a vessel for pleasure and wonder," and that is something to live by if that is something I can leave you with. If it is an insecurity of yours work on it on your time...NOT THEIRS!

- TheeTaylorHill

PS: If it ain’t your body, don’t worry about it. Our minds already play with our emotions we don’t need your input as well.
PSS: Listen to songs that remind you of yourself or who you are. A few I can recommend of the top of my head are:  Masterpiece- Jessie J, Whole Lotta Woman- Kelly Clarkson, Tempo- Lizzo, Exactly How I Feel-Lizzo. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

L-O-V-EeEEeee

2022: Things I Have Learned This Year

25 Things I Learned While Being 25!