My PWI Experience (Q+A Edition)

What did you think when asked to speak about your experience?
I just don't think I often paid attention to attending a PWI, but I know it was inevitable. I always attended predominately white schools up until high school, which was more minority-based. At LIU, it was obvious if you were the black student in the class because naturally, we all sat together or there weren't too many in the class. But I also got my fair share of the "wow you sound so white," or "didn't expect you to sound like that," and that jazz. I also felt there were often complaining everywhere about something on that campus.

Why did you attend LIU?
LIU was one of the universities, I always wanted to attend. They had many different majors to choose from. I wanted a school that had all the majors I was considering at the time and a college that offered smaller class sizes. Also, it was important to go to a school that had both clubs and collegiate sports. I played basketball in high school and wanted to be able to have the option to continue pursuing that or compete elsewhere, which I ended up doing.  I came in as a transfer student and that journey was the challenge I was focusing on because everyone had their groups, friends and all that. I felt like an outsider as a transfer student than as a black student. But things changed after.

How was your experience with professors?
As far as my professors, I don't think I had a problem. The number of black professors or advisors at LIU could literally be counted on one hand, which is sad. So my relationships with all professors were what they were.

How was your experience with your black friends vs white friends?
My experience with both my black friends and white friends were the same more than they were different. I often separated the two, sometimes intentionally others not so much. Obviously, you naturally gravitate towards your own people, but I tend to get along with anyone and everyone. Each group offered something different. We all have our friends for different reasons. My black friends, I spent the most time with them because of mutual clubs and me meeting them first, plus it easier to have those conversations with. My white friends, I was with every day because of rugby, and I found it easier to get them to come to events and it never felt like a race thing. Plus, I got a few best friends out of it that I wouldn't trade; one of each race, if that matters.

Let's talk about school spirit, extracurriculars, sororities, parties.
LIU was pretty up and down when it came to school spirit but I bet it's like that with any school. It honestly depended on the sport...football and basketball clearly would have a better turnout for events. Also, any of our battle of the boulevard games (games played by nearby schools) regardless of the sport were pretty popular. Extracurriculars were tricky. People just didn't care for them. Turnout was tough but there were plenty of options. Greek life, on the other hand, was not it! Simply because, in my first three years, all the multicultural sororities weren't a big thing because students had graduated and interest levels. Also, the mere fact rushing was different for traditional and multicultural organizations so neither would understand the other in-depth. However, LIU was big on greek life with the traditional orgs. No offense, but oftentimes it felt it was shoved down our throats. And as far as parties, they were barely a thing at Post. I highly doubt this is a problem for other PWIs. But the closest thing you got to real parties were ones that happened disguised as an event for a club or in your dorm room.

What about dating?
Dating was whack! Nothing further.

Do you feel you came across any microaggressions/ covert racism?
Yes as a black student I felt there was. One is a popular one for a lot of people, which was the use of the N-word by any race that wasn't African American in conversation or in songs. Another, we got push back with the "black" clubs and how they weren't inclusive to all on-campus. All of the clubs that had majority-minority students were the ones you would see at each other's events. We would turn out for events held outside of our clubs and there would never be the same in return. It was also hard to get support from faculty, it was almost like we had to go the extra mile to get attention.  Other than that I felt it on my rugby team but that was just athletes and their egos rather than race.

Did you personally experience racism while enrolled?
Oh my gosh, yes! It's quite the story. It was a bit of an eye-opener of like "wow people really think and act like this." I don't want to go into too much detail but long story short, my friends and I were trying to get this girl who was drunk into the car so we can head back to campus when these people who lived in the neighborhood thought it was something else and yelled things at us (you can imagine what) and called the cops on us. Luckily we were able to get out of that situation quickly and safely.

Do you feel there is much difference at a PWI vs HBCUs?
Obviously, there is a difference between attending a PWI and an HBUC (historically black college); race, experience, education, and overall history. HBCU will give you an experience like no other and a true bonding experience. I actually believe they offer something greater than just education. Education is the same depending on the major you choose to study. However, you can only judge the two on the overall experience of what you are doing with the knowledge and experience after your 4 years. I am not going to lie, there were times I thought I should've attended one, as I did get accepted to a few but it just never happened, plus I try to live with few to no regrets. Might I add picking your college is your choice and you should pick on what will benefit you.

If you can change one thing about you PWI, what would it be?
I wish PWIs, would be more aware of what their black students need and want to see on campus. Actually with any minority student. Also, more black faculty staff that can really teach those African American history/study courses. Another thing is how PWIs handle incidents involving race even went it doesn't happen directly on campus because it still affects us as minorities in the world. For example, racial tensions have been building on several college campuses across the country and you don't hear about how schools are trying to change or help. The impact with all of these can be something great.

- TheeTaylorHill
P.S. -  I would love to do a part 2 if you all have more questions you would like me answer :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

L-O-V-EeEEeee

2022: Things I Have Learned This Year

25 Things I Learned While Being 25!